Saturday, March 1, 2008

Cooking Sausages over lava and other crazy stuff.

Hi Again. Sorry for the inconsistency with regards to updating my blog, but hey! I'm on vacation, can't spend every other second in front of a stupid screen.
Well well, I spent last weekend in Guatemala City together with Monica and her Family. On Saturday we drove to the beach, to stay at their beach house for the night. Marco(another kid from whom I also know through CISV) came with us, and we had a really nice time at the beach place.
The sand was completely black, due to its composition of volcanic rock- which made it burning hot to walk in at day time. Auch auch.
Monday morning I want back to Antigua(without being pick pocketed in the Chicken bus), to climb the Volcano Pacaya.
Pacaya is an active volcano, and climbing it was one of the craziest and coolest things I've done so far. They have loads of organized tours from Antigua and the walk up the volcano is not in itself very demanding. But then suddenly you come to a valley that's made up of solid lava, which you walk on until you are 2 meters from red glowing floating lava. A Fantastic sight. And bloody warm as well.

I meet two danish guys on the top who had brought sausages, and they offered me one, which I of course cooked over the ridiculously warm lava. It actually tasted very well.
So yeah, if you ever come across some several thousand degrees hot lava, I can only encourage you to have a few chorizo sausages ready.

I spent the night in Antigua and went on north to Lanquin, on a long and hot ride(yet beautiful) , the next day(Tuesday).
Just outside the village of Lanquin they have an amazing natural wonder called Semuc Champey. Its basically an artificial 300 meter long Limestone bridge, which crosses a river. However some of the water flows on the actual bridge, and throughout many hundred years, this water have made small turquoise ponds which are absolutely astonishingly beautiful.
Kinda difficult to explain. Check out the pictures.

Thursday I took the bur no to Flores in northern part of Guatemala.
Flores is a lovely(small) town located on a small island in the middle of a bit lake.
Friday morning I took a tour to Tikal, which is one of the greatest Maya pyramids ever.
I liked it a lot, especially since the setting in comparison to Chichen Itza and Palenque is set in the jungle, and you therefore have to walk between the pyramids in the jungle.
On the other hand I can also feel that I am about to get "ruined". The first ruin is pretty, the second as well, but this is my forth and am slowly becoming like "yeah beautiful..just like the other 4..".
Im planing on seeing Copan in Honduras as well, and after that no more ruins for me for a very very long time..
ON my way home last night I felt a bit sick, so instead of going on to Belize today I spent and extra day here in Flores.
Im still feeling a bit nauseous and dizzy, but I don't have any fever - so I guess its just a cold or something I ate.
I guess thats all for now. Hopefully ill be on Caye Caulker(Belize) tomorrow to start my Diving Certificate on Monday.

Adios!

No comments: